Re: High memory questions

Nicolas Justin wrote:

> Le Lundi 15 Juillet 2002 22:45, Joseph A Knapka a écrit :
> > > What is the maximum adressable memory for a user space process on the
> > > same system ?
> >
> > 3G, unless you change the value of PAGE_OFFSET.
>
> Can I modify PAGE_OFFSET to increase the user space process adressable memory
> (and so decrease the kernel space) ?
> Can you give me more on informations on this ?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: the more physical memory you have, the more
virtual space the kernel needs in order to manage it.
Also, the kernel uses its virtual space for a number
of other things (vmalloc allocates physical memory
and maps it into otherwise-unused kernel virtual space;
thus all kernel subsystems that use vmalloc may suffer
if kernel virtual space is squeezed too much). The upshot
is that on a 4G machine the kernel really needs 1G of
virtual space to function properly. The memory map
alone occupies 64MB of virtual space on a 4G machine.

Cheers,

-- Joe