Busy waiting

Dear List,

I'm writing an RTC device driver in linux 2.4.7. kernel on PPC platform. It
uses an RTC chip dependent kernel exported function. In this function I have
to determine when the second changing as accurately as I can. I read the
seconds register in a while loop. It can takes up to 1 sec, which is a very
long time. How should I use the schedule() to let other processes to do some
other job and make the smallest possible mistake detecting the second
changing?

TIA && Good byte!