Re: detecting new tcp connections

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 05:37:53PM +0200, Andrew Rucker Jones wrote:
> Checking the source address, destination address, source port, and
> destination port will guaruntee that the connection is unique. TCP (and
> UDP, i think) include wait mechanisms that disallow reuse of an
> ephemeral source port too soon after being used. So, if You poll quickly
> enough (every second is plenty fast), You will never run into this problem.

Mostly correct; I believe the time is 2*TIME_WAIT. This is much longer
than one second. It is likely closer to two minutes or so. Even polling
every 15 seconds ought to be fine for avoiding this problem.

However, UDP is connectionless (despite some niceties in the API to make
it appear stateful) so the problem quite simply doesn't exist there. :)

--
http://immunix.org/