Re: file io in the kernel or user space

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:13:07PM +0100, Lars Olsson wrote:
> I'm working on a project where I need to save/read data to/from file in
> the
> kernel. The files will be quite big (around 129k each). As I see it,
> there are several ways of doing this. I could either do it in kernel
> mode, or I could somehow transfer this data (or a pointer to it) to user
> space and save it using regular file handling operations. What are the
> different options and what is the best way of doing this?

Well, both is possible. Doing it in kernel mode is a lot faster and VFS
interface is not too complicated to use (path_walk to get the inode,
open it with filp_open and then use the file->f_ops to read/write). On
the other hand userland approach will give user better control over the
process and it will be easier to avoid security issues.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>