Re: user-space nfs client

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:45:07PM +0800, zw wrote:
> I heard about user-space NFS clients. I'm curious about how user-space
> NFS clients could intercept filesystem calls. Is kernel code needed?

It depends how well integrated you want it with programs. You _could_
replace the read(2) et al functions in glibc, or /etc/ld.so.preload
replacements, that would either contact an NFS server or ask the kernel
to modify the file, depending upon the file that is open, but that
sounds rough to me.

Another option, perhaps less brittle, is to have your own functions,
nfs_open(3), nfs_read(3), nfs_write(3), etc. Then, your applications
could use those functions to get NFS files. But that would require
writing your own applications, or modifying existing ones, and would
probably be pretty ugly too.

Userland is alright for NFS servers, but probably not for NFS clients.

GOod luck! :)

--
http://sardonix.org/