Re: killing the interrupt handler

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 08:04, Rahul Ravindran wrote:
> I`m modifying a network device driver by adding encrytion and
decrytion within it. The NIC is an interrupt driver one which generates
an interrupt on arrival of a packet. I find that sometimes, the
following error occurs :
>         Kernel Panic : Killing interrupt handler
>         In interrupt handler: loosing sync
>
> The system hangs after this.
>
> I`m an disabling interrupts at the beginning of the interrupt handler
(by using spin_lock_store) and reanbling them at the end (by using
spin_unlock_restore).  I interrupt handler is currently takes a little
time executing the decrytion code. Hence, tried putting the decrytion
code after re-enabling interrupts. This has not helped. I`m not
generating any interrupts within my interrupt handler.  Am using
GFP_ATOMIC flag for kmalloc within the handler. On searching the net, I
find that these errors(killing interrupt etc) have been documented
before while doing insmod but not while actually using the card. Please
help.
> Thanx in advance ,
> Rahul
> Please help me on this

I've seen these errors before in my own attempts to hack a network
driver, normally following an Oops. The problem was eventually traced
(with the help of ksymoops) to some bad pointer voodoo in my code. So my
first guess would be that your encryption/decryption methods are
dereferencing invalid pointers at some point. If possible, try writing a
userland testbench program using your encryption/decryption routines.
Then you can use gdb to help you pinpoint the problem area (and the
crashes are much safer, too :-)

--
Trevor Hamm