Re: double underscores

In general, I've found that the corresponding functions with no double
underscores will necessary locking and set up. If you call the functions
with the double underscores, you're on your own to do necessary locking
and set up.

There's probably some grander design behind it, but that's pretty much
what I've found to be true.