Re: trapping execve()

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 07:22:46AM +0530, Sridhar N wrote:

> ok, I get your point.  Well, assuming what you've given is general to all
> syscalls, is it possible to insmod the module once, with a enable/disable
> flag, so that when the IDS is to be switched on, i just enable the flag to
> enable filtering. And instead of removing the module, I just reset the flag.
> Of course, *all* syscalls *all* the time, have to go through my code, even if
> the IDS is off. That is an overhead and a drawback, but atleast I *think*
> that should be safe.  Are my assumptions right ?

Actually things are slightly better than that. You can still switch back
to the old system call pointers in the table, it's just you can never be
*completely sure* that you can unload the module.

> It would be pretty ironic if an IDS screws up the file systems or anything
> else on the machine. I just can't take chances, can I ?

Indeed

regards
john

--
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
	- Hector Louis Berlioz