Error compiling simple module

I am trying to compile and install an example using
proc_register/proc_unregister functions from Ori Pomeranz web site
example and got the following error messages.

start_module.o :unresolved symbol proc_register
start_module.o :unresolved symbol proc_unregister

Actually when I compile the module itself I get the following warnings

function proc_register : implicit declaration of function proc_register.
function proc_unregister :implicit declaration of function proc_unregister

   The code is almost the same from the web site except I have not used
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS because I get the errors from the include which say
"/usr/include.... :1:2:error : Modules should never use kernel system
headers".

I have the following configuration

RedHat 7.2 kernel 2.4.7-10
gcc 3.0.4

Has somebody faced a similar problem ? Will be grateful for a reply
which will start me off on kernel programming.

Note : This is my first post on this list. Apologies if I am breaking
any unofficial conventions !!

Thanks,
Kamath.