RE: case sensitivity

From: petter wahlman [mailto:petter@bluezone.no]

> This is causing
> some problems (make, etc.)
<cut>
> So, why are 'linux' filesystems case sensitive?
> Having two files or directories that only differ by case is IMO wrong,
> but should at least be controlable with a generic mount option.
Actually a case insensitive file system will break some make behavior.
When make starts I first look for makefile then Makefile (actually I think
GNUmake look for more than that).
This is often used so that if you get a program and you want to make some
changes to the make file. and want to preserve the original, then you just
do:
cp Makefile makefile
And edit the makefile, now make will use your new file, instead of Makefile.
 When you are done, you either delete makefile, and the compile works in the
original way, or cp makefile Makefile.

I know this may not be a problem in your present sources. But it
demonstrates why you can't just impose case insensitivity on case
sensitivity system. It would break many things, and opening this option to
the public would just generate so many problems. Imagine having to
regenerate a bug from a bugrepport, trying that for hours just to finally
discover the user had case insensitivity enabled, and that made the
application ignore his personal settings.... Not the first place you would
look.

So I will also recommend using a fat partition for the include files. You
can eventually put this into a image file that you mount using a loop
device. Remember you don't need to put the whole system on fat.
--
Martin Hansen
Student at SDU Sonderborg. www.sdu.dk

Tlf: 74 88 54 62