Re: case sensitivity

Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob@tisbrasil.com.br> wrote:
>On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 07:43:22PM +0200, petter wahlman wrote:
[...]
>> Linux should IMO be as adaptible and flexible as possible, and _forcing_
>> filesystem case is wrong.

No - see below point 2.

>Errr. Standard answer: code it and submit :-)

1) ACK - actually that's the open-source standard answer.
2) And - if you really want to code and submit it - you are
   opening a can of worms : The case-insensitivity bases on the fact
   that you know for 2 (or even more) characters that they are equal
   though the numerical representation (independent of any encoding)
   is the same, namely upper and lower case letters.
   This relies actually on the language used, so e.g. in German we
   have umlauts which also have a upper and lower case version
   (similar to other letters).
   a) AFAICS (and AFAIK) there is no i18n and l10n support in the
      kernel (which is required to do this properly).
      So you have to put it in yourself (one more reason why I believe
      that the patch will not be accepted by the core folks[0]).
      This leaves open the problem at which level the user is able to
      specify the language of one given filename - only at the mount point ?
   b) You just ignore not-English languages : Well, the not-English
      part of the world (or significant parts of it) will probably ignore
      your patch too.

	Bernd

[0] : Yes, I know that Win* has apparently such stuff in the kernel. And
      so what?
--
Bernd Petrovitsch                              Email : bernd@gams.at
g.a.m.s gmbh                                  Fax : +43 1 205255-900