Re: Kernel with debugging info

--- Frank Schaefer <frank.schafer@setuza.cz> wrote:
> Tue, 2002-05-14 at 18:53, Christine Ames wrote:

<snip>

> > What seems to be the problem?  Does your build fail?
>
> My fault, the -g switches in the output of make escaped my
> attention.
>
> Finally I found some time to complete the kgdb setup, but another
> problem arises.
> I've set up the hardware, and develhost and testhost communicate
> via
> ttyS0.
> The debugger (gdb-5.0) starts up with ``gdb vmlinux''. The plain
> 2.4.16
> kernel on the testhost runs fine. If I choose Linux-2.4.16-kgdb
> from the
> lilo prompt, the testhost simply reboots bringing me back to the
> lilo
> prompt.

First, let's clarify terms:
  Host = system used to run the debugger
  Target = system you intend to debug

Second, let me make sure I understand:  you've built your "debug"
kernel on your "host" system?  That would be "correct".  (It doesn't
*really* matter, because you need the source and your "debug" kernel
on both machines...)

You say the "plain 2.4.16 kernel on the testhost".  This makes me
think that perhaps you've neglected to copy /arch/i386(for
example)/boot/bzImage, System.map, and
/lib/modules/2.4.16-your-debug-kernel over to your target machine?
If you have any modules, you'll also need to copy over your entire
modules directory.

> I've followed the doc from kgdb.sourgeforge.net exactly. At least I
> think so -- did it three times getting the same results.
>
> The develhost is a i686-pc-linux-gnu (linux-2.4.16, glibc-2.2.4,
> gcc-2.95.3+glibc-2-patch) LFS system.
> The testhost is a fairly old Slackware 7.0.0 system. Here I've
> upgraded
> the modutils to 2.4.6, and the kernel ( of course ).
>
> Furtheron has the develhost his root on /dev/hda1 whereas the
> testhost
> has it on /dev/hdb1. Running ``rdev bzImage-kgdb /dev/hdb1'' didn't
> change anything ( shouldn't using lilo ).

>From your comments, it's not totally clear to me that you've
installed your debug kernel on both host *and* target.  You must
completely install your debug kernel on your target machine.  This
means editing lilo.conf, and running lilo.

Please forgive me if I'm being dense.  If you've already done the
above, let me know and we'll talk about using kgdb.

> Here is the lilo.conf section for the kgdb kernel:
>
> 	image=bzImage-kgdb
> 	  root=/dev/hdb1
> 	  labe=Linux-kgdb
> 	  read-only
> 	  append="gdb gdbttyS=0 gdbbaud=115200"
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks in advance
> Frank

Your lilo.conf looks good to me...except for what I assume are some
typos?

"labe" where "label" should be.
"gdbttyS=0" where "gdbttyS=ttyS0" should be.
Plus, that's a pretty high baud rate.  Perhaps try a lower one just
to get started?

Harmony,

Christine