Re: Kernel with debugging info

--- Frank Schaefer <frank.schafer@setuza.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 19:27, Christine Ames wrote:
> > --- Frank Schaefer <frank.schafer@setuza.cz> wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Does anybody know, how to build a kernel with debug info? There
> > > isn't a
> > > appropriate option in ``make *config''.
> > > Will it be sufficient to add the -g switch to the CFLAGS in the
> > > main
> > > Makefile?
> > >

> > Hmmm...debug info...  Are you talking about using kdbg or some
> other
> > debugger?
>
> Yes, I try to setup kgdb / kdb.

I've done this, and after applying the patch, you "make xconfig" as
usual.  Be sure to turn on whatever "Kernel Hacking" stuff you want.
(The options which were made available by the patch.)  Afterwards,
build your new kernel in the usual way:

make dep && make clean && make bzImage
make modules && make modules_install

AFAIK, there is no reason to edit the makefile yourself.

> > In that case, you need to patch the kernel to make debugging
> options
> > available.  After patching, you rebuild your kernel.  The patch
> makes
> > available new options under "Kernel Hacking" when using xconfig.
> >
> > For the patch, FAQ, etc. see http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/
>
> I know that, and I have the patches for kdb and kgdb. But if I
> configure
> the kernel I still don't see any -g during the kernel build. Maybe
> I've
> overseen them. I'll build onesmore this evening sending the output
> of
> make into a log.

What seems to be the problem?  Does your build fail?

Harmony,

--Christine