file_operations struct vs file struct

In chapter 3 of Linux Device Drivers 2nd Edition it says
An open device is identified internally by a file structure,
and the kernel uses the file_operations structure to access the driver's functions.

	My first question would be, when it says " identified internally
by a file structure", is is refering to *the* file structure, as in
"struct file", or is it refering to the file_operations structure?

	So basicly if it was refering to the file_operations structure the
statement would expand to "An open device is identified internally by
the file_operations structure, and the kernel uses the file_operations structure
to access the driver's functions."

So which one are they refering to?

 	Also, since I dont seem to understand the basic workings of
either, could somebody give me a quick overview of both, describing it in
a diffrent way then LDD did.

	I appolagize for these questions as I didnt know how to word the
quite properly.

Thanks
-Dan Erickson-
-ColdOneKnight@rogers.com-