Re: rss in task_struct

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Ravi wrote:

> > This is the Residentset size of the program. It determines the
> > minimum  number of pages (working set) that you should have in the
> > memory for the program.
>
>  Isn't it the number of pages belonging to a process that are
> *currently* in memory?

Indeed, you're absolutely right. I see you've spent
some time looking at the code ;)

> How can a process specify its minimum working set?

This isn't possible. Maybe it might be useful for
some special purpose things in the future, but in
general it probably isn't even useful.

> BTW, rss is in mm_struct, not task_struct (at least in 2.4)

The reason for this is simple ... threads.

Threads share the same memory area, so they really
want to also share the statistics of that memory
area ;)

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/