Re: System calls within the kernel??

Hi John

We have a little research team which tries various methods to speed up
interprocess communication and this is going to be a part of it, which I was
asked to implement.
so, I would like to know if we can make a system call from within the
kernel.
I tried doing it , by calling getpid() from a system call that i already
wrote. but, while make bzImage, kernel complains as "getpid() undefined
symbol".

within my system call code, I called getpid() as
printk("Process Id %d\n",getpid());

and the compiler shouts for this.

I hope this explains u my  position.

thanks!
CHarumathi.

>On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 01:37:08AM +0000, krishnan charumathi wrote:
>
> > I am trying to implement a memory layer between the kernel and process,
>so
> > that process can use it to communicate between each other. This is going
> > be a shared memory.
>
>My question then would be why are you re-implementing something that
>already exists ?
>
>regards
>john
>--
>"This is just the kind of crackpot scheme I've been looking to champion!!!"
>	- P.M. Hartke on 6U campaign
>--
>Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel.
>Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
>FAQ:           http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

You Can If U think U Can