From: kernelnewbies-bounce@nl.linux.org
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@nl.linux.org]On Behalf Of Momchil Velikov
Sent: Tuesday, 23 April 2002 6:51 PM
To: Sridhar N (by way of Sridhar N<srin@srin.homelinux.net>)
Subject: Re: User-level threads and preemption

>>>>> "Sridhar" == Sridhar N <<srin@symonds.net> (by way of Sridhar N
<srin@srin.homelinux.net>)> writes:

Sridhar> On Monday 22 April 2002 05:02 am,  Erik Mouw wrote:
>> > 	If one userspace thread is doing a system call and is pre-empted, can
>> > the process execute another of its own thread  that also executes a
>> > system call ?
>>
>> Sure, why not? Threads and processes are almost the same on linux, so
>> if a process can be preempted, a thread can also be preempted.

Sridhar> Sorry, i suppose i didn't say it right.  I wasn't talking about the
threads
Sridhar> that you create using a system call ( eg. clone() ), but i was
referring to
Sridhar> user-space libs ( like pthread,etc, )

_Usually_ it is not possible, as the kernel is unaware of the
existance of some user space date structures, which the user use to
call "threads" ;). Thus, a blocked userspace thread blocks the entire
process. In GNU/Linux that's the case with GNU Pth, as they are pure
userspace, unlike Linuxthreads, which are pure kernelspace.

Why "usually" ? :)

Because there are systems, where the userland is notified when a
thread is put to sleep, thus given the chance to run another one. This
is usually called "scheduler activations" with the most notable (or of
most practical interest) example being the upcoming FreeBSD 5.0
kernel.

Regards,
-velco

This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message.
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.