Re: Preserving Memory Area Across Reboot

--- Sharath <sharath_75@yahoo.com> wrote:
> not sure about ppc arch....  I was reffering to i386
> arch... I guess it should be possible but thats device
> specific... more like asking the device not to clean
> up its memory and just reboot..
>
> any takers for this one??

Naw.  How you gonna' stop the BIOS from doing the memory check at
boot?  The BIOS probably won't touch every byte every boot, but how
do you arrange that *your* memory isn't touched?  What about the
memory manager?  How much of the Linux kernel are you willing to
rewrite for this?

> --- "Usman S. Ansari" <uansari@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > arch is ppc & i dont have 2nd storage. What other
> > option i have?

Wow.  You booting from a floppy?  Hmmm.  How about an initrd?  From
Rubini & Corbet (2nd ed. p. 360): "When you boot a kernel with
initrd, it establishes a temporary running environment before it
mounts the real root filesystem."

I don't actually know if this would work, but it's an idea.

Harmony,

--Christine