Re: Preserving Memory Area Across Reboot

--- "Usman S. Ansari" <uansari@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to preserve a region of memory across reboot. I am thinking
> if I have
> change init/main.c file and after do_basic_setup(), reserve a
> memory region,
> than I can recover the contents of memory after reboot.
>
> Do you thing this will work ?
>
> Is using a staticly linked driver be a better approach ?

Wow, that's pretty ambitious.  Also, I belive, impossible.  Please
correct me if I am not understanding you:  you want to allocate some
memory, store some data there, reboot the machine, and be able to
access your data?  Wooooo.  That's gonna' be one tough cookie to
crack.  Tell you what, why not try saving your data in a file across
reboots?  If you need more memory than is polite, you can always try
boot-time allocation.  See Rubini & Corbet online at
http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/ch07.html#t5.