netlink question

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding about netlink. I have an opened netlink
socket and I called a function that also make use of netlink to retrieve
information about the ip addresses. The function blocks at recvmsg, the
reason I think is because the message originally meant for this 2nd
netlink socket was sent to the 1st netlink socket (since both sockets
has the same pid and netlink sends the message through netlink_unicast).
I tried setting the dst_groups but the result is the same. Following
this, I do a fork for the 2nd function so that it uses a new pid. The
program now does not block at recvmsg, however I think this should not
be the way to do it.

Is there anyway to get the program to work without forking? I am afraid
I am not too good with netlink.
Thanks for any advices.

cheers,
jon.