Evaluate A Typical System's Speed

I have general questions regarding a typical Linux system's speed and
wonder this is right place to ask these questions. If this is not, Could
someone point out which group I can post.

With following typical components on a motherboard:
 512 MB 10K RPM DRAM,
 Intel 850 chipset with 64-bits Data bus width and 400MHz Data Rate,
 32-bit/64-bit PCI 2.10 bus (33MHz/66MHz)
 20 GB Hard Drive

 Does Intel 850's 400MHz data rate fully used or not on 66MHz bus
speed?    As speed of these components are measured by rates, I am
wondering how one can evaluate the system's speed roughly in terms of
using MB/sec so that one can see potential bottleneck or trend of
improvement.  On Windows, using PCMark2002 benchmark software from
MadOnion.com, one can see 20-70 MB/sec on HD, 700 - 1,400 MB/sec on
DRAM.  Is there a way one can measure system bus actual speed under
Linux or benchmark for DRAM, HD?

In addition, if I like to add a 1GB Network Interface Card for
clustering two same machines, should I add a 32-bit NIC card or 64-bit
NIC in terms of performance, and why?

Your comments will be appreciated,
-Hong
--
 <Linux kernel:>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.