IPC queues and select()

Hallo!
I'moving my first steps analyzing the Linux kernel sources; my main target
is to acquire a sufficient knowledge of its internal mechanism to optimize
the performance of my programs - I work in embedded environments, and
sometime performance has greater priority than portability, if there is no
other way.

My first question (some time will pass before I'll be able to help someone
else, I fear!) regards SystemV IPC, expecially queues:
Could I use select() to wait for multiple IPC queues?
...or...
Someone could suggest a CPU-unexpensive way to wait for multiple
interprocess message queues (IPC or POSIX)?

Any help will be appreciate, even a single line with a kernel file name to
be read carefully...

thank you,
Emilio Riva