behaviour of sys_stat

Hi,

In my module I want to get the status of a file. One
solution is to follow the implementation of sys_stat
call and write my own routine.

I tried calling sys_stat from my module, which gives
me erronos values as output. ( The input to this call
are user buffers )

I know making system calls from within the kernel is
not healthy and if I want this functionality then I
should duplicate the routine which would function
somewhat like sys_Stat.

But my question is if we discard the healthyness then
is it not expected that if I make the sys_stat call
explicitly from within the kernel then it MUST work as
it is supposed to work. Isn't this true for all the
system calls.
Thanks
Amit