Re: Reg. net_profile_register

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 03:54:04AM +0000, Babu Rajagopal wrote:
> when i'm going through the linux src for net drivers,
> i found a strange line of code.
>
> i wanted to register a bottom half handler for the net
> irq.
>
> in net/profiles.h, there is a function called
> net_profile_register and some other functions.
>
> this was declared as extern inline void
> net_profile_register.
>
> i could'nt understand what extern inline void means.

IIRC it means "don't bother you stupid compiler, I know what I am doing
and I want this function inlined at all cost". I can't be wrong
however, so please check the gcc info files for a proper explanation.

> when i use this function in my driver(of course using
> the macro NET_PROFILE_REGISTER), while insmod, it says
> net_profile_register unresolved external symbol.

This is a FAQ. Compile your driver with -O2 or inline functions won't
get inlined.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,