RE: Learning Minix's internals before Linux's?

Hi All,

    Can u give me the names of these OReilly books. Are any of these freely
downloadable.

Regards,
Ganesh

On March 18, 2002 08:50, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> Hi everybody... this is my first post to kernelnewbies :)

Ahoy hoy!

> I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to study the
> Minix source before Linux's?  Or would I be better off just jumping
> straight into the deep end and learning Linux straight off?

Pedagogically, Minix is probably easier to learn because its got a book
based
around it.  I started to read said book last fall and its a good read.  If
you are interested in learning about operating systems and the more modern
school of design, Minix would be a good place to start before moving on to
Mach or Hurd.

If you want to learn something practical or Linux is a specific goal, then
getting one of the O'Reilly books on the Linux kernel might be more
practical
for you.  They too focus on the specific implementation of the 2.2 and 2.4
kernels and are good books.  Maurice Bach and Kirk McKusick, et. al. have
also done great (but a little more academic) books on Unix operating
systems.

Unfortunately, the implementation knowledge is not transferrable.  As you
may
know, Linux is a monolithic kernel while Minix is a microkernel.  They are
quite different design philosophies.  There's extensive debate on which is
better and you can even find a Usenet thread where the designers of Linux
and
Minix duked it out as to which one was better.

I'm getting tangential.  Study Minix if you want to learn the theory of
modern operating systems and study Linux if you want to learn about modern
Unix operating systems.

Systems software is a really exciting field.  I hope you find something to
get you started in it.  Good luck!
--
akk~