Hmm...No .config

Greetings,

I see that the initial install of a popular Linux OS does not give me an
initial .config--which would contain all the kernel options for that
install.  This is annoying, since I want to create a custom kernel to enable
iptables support.  Now I need to manually go through the options and guess
what should be Y or N (M's should be in /etc/modules.conf, right).

Is there a tool that can pull this info out of an existing kernel.  Awesome
tool would do the following:

Kernel.file  -->   Really Cool program  -->  .config filea

Does this beast exist?  Know someone who could answer this question and be
willing to provide me with contact info?  Another way to get to my solution?

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick