Re: driver installation

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:12:25AM -0600, David Stroupe wrote:
> Now that I have completed my driver I need to distribute it to users of
> the hardware.  Is it common for users to want to compile this driver
> into their version of the kernel, or should I expect that they will want
> to load it separately each time they start their system?

You will need to provide the source code for your driver to your users
in order for them to be able to build it against the kernel versions
that they are using for it to work properly.

Ideally you would just send the driver in to the kernel subsystem
maintainer for inclusion into the main kernel tree, and then you would
not have to worry about the distribution details at all.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h