General Question on Scheduler

Hi,

  I have just started to go through the Linux kernel. I have few general
questions about the scheduler

1. How does the scheduler perform a task switch i.e. where do I find the
exact code that performs the task switch.
2. When does the scheduler get control so that it can perform the task
switch. i.e is the scheduler called from the timer interrupt or something
like that?
4. Does the linux kernel use the facilities provided by the processor ( I
think x86 has facilities for task switch ) for the task switching?

3. Is it possible to load the linux image inside gdb and execute it.
4. Is there a port of the User-Mode Linux for windows ?

Thanks and Regards,
Ganesh