Re: Real-Mode of Intel processors!!

unless u're shutting down or disable paging.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ketan Mukadam <ketan@iitk.ac.in>
Date: Friday, March 1, 2002 1:28 pm
Subject: Re: Real-Mode of Intel processors!!

> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Thomas Abraham wrote:
>
> ==>Hi Ketan,
> ==>  This is in response to your query on real mode.
> ==>
> ==>Intel processors can work in two modes. Real mode and
> ==>Protected mode. In real mode, processor works with 16
> ==>bits. All the memory managment and process mangament
> ==>features are turned off in this mode. But in protected
> ==>mode these features are turned on which is very
> ==>essentail for an operating system.
> ==>
> ==> Now when the computer boots up, the processor is
> ==>initally in reak mode. Now OS is boot starped and if
> ==>that OS need to work in protected mode of the Intel
> ==>processors, then it executes an instruction to switch
> ==>to protected mode and utilize process features.
> ==>
> ==>   Maybe this explanation is incomplete and vague. If
> ==>you need mode info please mail to me.
> ==>
> ==>Regards,
> ==>Thomas
> ==>
> ==>( This is the first time I am replaying to a query on
> ==>a mailing list.)
>
> first of all thank you Thomas for replying.
>
> Actually what you have written, that stuff i already know, but
> what i wanted to
> know is that where the real-mode is used except bootstrapping.
> Once ur OS gets
> booted the processor is switched in protected mode.[ This is true
> of Linux ] Now
> in which situations it returns to real-mode or is it that it never
> goes into
> real-mode after booting??
>
> [Sorry,but I prefer to have the discussion on the mailing list. Is
> thisoff-topic?]
>
> Regards
> Ketan
>

> --
> IRC Channel:   irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies
> Web Page:      http://www.kernelnewbies.org/

begin:vcard
n:Agarwal;Sumit
fn:Sumit Agarwal
tel;cell:+919845205210
tel;fax:+91-80-5732696
tel;home:+919845205210
tel;work:+91-805732296 / 93 extn. 5243
url:www.wipro.com
org:Wipro Technologies;SIDC, Embedded and Internet Division
adr:;;Wipro Technologies, Chamundi Complex, No.26, Hosur Main Road, Bommanahalli;Bangalore;Karnataka;560068;INDIA
version:2.1
email;internet:sumit.agarwal@wipro.com
title:Senior Software Engineer
end:vcard

Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited
is 'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any
use, copying or dissemination of the information contained in the E-MAIL
in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.