unresolved symbol do_fork

Hello,

I'm trying to replace the sys_fork() from the sys_call_table[] in 2.4.17
with a verbatim implementation of it that also maintains process
hierarchy information to be used later on for gang-scheduling. I'd like
to load a module in the kernel that will replace the sys call. The
module compiles with no errors/warnings, but insmod complains when
attempting to load:

gang.o: unresolved symbol do_fork
gang.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

Is there a way I can resolve/import the symbol or is do_fork() not
exported by the kernel at all, forcing me to recompile the kernel to
include the functionality of the module?

Would it be possible to simply call the sys_fork() function pointer I'm
trying to replace, and still somehow get it's return value and append
the functionality I need?

Thanks for any help,
-Kristis