nr_running and runqueue_head ?

Hi,
    This is probably a dumb question, but here it goes. I am using the kgdb
2.4.10 patch (remote debugging) to understand the scheduler. If I use ddd on
a test machine and let the test machine "run" with a couple of running
applications. Then, I halt the test machine and check nr_running and the the
runqueue_head. Most of the time, I notice nr_running is 0 and runqueue_head
just points to itself. Also most of the threads are sleeping.

      Should't some of the threads be on the run_queue(i.e. a media player
and other running programs) and of course nr_running greater than 0? Can
someone explain this scenario?

thanks,
tim