Re: Kernelspace to Userspace message passing

Jan Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz> wrote:
>Sandip Bhattacharya <sandipb@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>I have an userspace application running, which communicates to a kernel
>>modules using IOCTLs. Now, from time to time, the kernel needs to send
>>a message back to the application. Now one alternative would be that the
>>app polls the kernel using IOCTLs to see if any message is waiting. How
>>can I avoid that and send a message directly as in a callback or signal?
>
>When you use ioctl, you have to have a file descriptor. It should be
>possible to implement poll syscall to work with that descriptor (character
>device or proc file).

This is one possibility.
Actually the elegant/clean/... solution would be : make a char driver,
which accepts "commands" (that what are now the ioctl()s) through the
read(2) syscall and which may provide something useful through write(2)
syscall. Of course you implement the poll for this device (look e.g.
into Rubini's book for this).

	Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch                              Email : bernd@gams.at
g.a.m.s gmbh                                  Fax : +43 1 205255-900