Re: /proc/stat

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:23:10AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> looking through the source code, i'm thinking that in /proc/stat:
>
> cpu  593139 9367 392256 29106036
> cpu0 271777 4322 225835 14548465
> cpu1 321362 5045 166421 14557571
>
> the 2nd column = number of seconds the kernel spent in user mode,
> the 3rd column = number of seconds the kernel spent in nice mode,
> the 4th column = number of seconds the kernel spent in kernel mode,
> 1st column is the sum.

man 5 proc

              cpu  3357 0 4313 1362393
                     The  number  of  jiffies  (1/100ths of a second) that the system spent in user mode, user mode with low priority
                     (nice), system mode, and the idle task, respectively.  The last value should be 100 times the  second  entry  in
                     the uptime pseudo-file.

vi -t kstat_read_proc

regards
john

--
"This is mindless pedantism up with which I will not put."
	- Donald Knuth on Pascal's lack of default: case statement