dev_ioctl() question ?

Hello all

I have a problem with reading or setting the wireless card settings from the
kernel (e.g the channel or name) . I want to use the function dev_ioctl().
(defined in core/dev.c )

For this I write my own function integrated in a kernel module.
The function is now called  with the device_name "eth0".

The problem is that always I get "no wireless extension".
But if a packet arrive (e.g. Router Solicitation) I can read the wireless
settings.

Is there anything I forgot ?
Do I need locking functions or is it not possible to use the dev_ioctl
function from another kernel module ?

Or has anybody another idea to read or set the wireless settings (e.g. the
frequency or channel).

void get_wireless_info(char *dev_name)
{
	struct iwreq wrq;

	/*set the device name*/
	strncpy(wrq.ifr_name, dev_name, IFNAMSIZ);

	if( dev_ioctl(SIOCGIWNAME, &wrq)  < 0)
	{
		printk(" No wireless extension. \n");
		return;
	}
	else
	{
		printk("Wireless info:  devicename= %s \n",wrq.u.name);
		return;
	}

}
Thank you for all help in advance

Jörg

Joerg Eggink
Network Laboratories Heidelberg NEC Europe Ltd.
Adenauerplatz 6
D-69115 Heidelberg, Germany

email: joerg.eggink@ccrle.nec.de
http://www.ccrle.nec.de