Re: something about ext2 file system

> Hello, I have some questions about ext2 file system.
>
> 1.How the directory and file name information are
> stored on the disk? I mean is there a range of blocks
> set at disk format or intialize time for this kind of
> information?

The directory contents are stored in blocks, just like any data block of a
regular file. The difference is, unlike the data in  regular files, where
the Filesystem ignores its contents, the data in the blocks of diretories
are structured (struct ext2_dir_entry_2) and interpreted by the ext2 driver
during pathname lookup.

> 2.I know in ext2 the whole disk is made up of the boot
> block and some block groups. Each block groups
> contains super block,group descriptors,data block
> bitmap,inode bitmap,inode table and data blocks. The
> directory and file name information are stored in
> which part? In the data blocks?

Yes

> 3.Are file names and other metadata put into the same
> range of blocks?
metadata of what ?. The directory metadata are kept in the blocks. And the
directory inode is used to reference the block.
> 4.Where can I find some detail information about ext2

Ext2FS Home page
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html
Design and Implementation of the Second Extended Filesystem
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2intro.html

-anurekh