Some doubts (kernel daemons, interruptible_sleep_on etc)

Hi all,

We are implementing predictive file prefetching for linux. The prefetcher is going to be a kernel daemon, but there
are some doubts....

* Can anybody give pointers to coding kernel daemons..
 It has to be in kernelspace  since various kernel data
structures must be accessed. So  things like setsid(),chdir
().. do not work.

* Can a module sleep in its init_module function ?

* assuming that a module cannot sleep in its init function, I tried the following :

            __init init_module {
               set kernel timer to expire in 1 sec
            }

            timeout_func {
               interruptible_sleep_on(&my_queue);
            }

After the timer expires, the kernel panics:
         Aiee..scheduling in interrupt

Sorry for the longish mail.. I am ready to RTFM, just point me to them.

Thanks in advance.
Swapnil.