Re: Learning

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Chris Mesterharm wrote:

> Ideally there should be a function that the algorithm is trying to
> learn that depends on the various dynamic properties of the operating
> system.  The function selects certain operations that the OS should
> perform based on the current situation.  Ideally, if the algorithm
> makes a bad choice, the system would give feedback by telling the
> system what would have been the best(better) choice.  (A straight
> forward example is the weather.  An algorithm makes a prediction and
> the next day it finds out the correct weather.)

A perfect candidate (i would think) would be the VM, there are other
possibilities but you can obtain an almost ideal algorithm for most of
them. This of course would also be possible if we had some sort of VM
accounting, but I'll have to stop here seing as i don't know much about
the VM subsystem. One thing to watch out for is overhead when doing your
"calculations" the VM shouldn't eat too much CPU time...

Regards,
	Zwane Mwaikambo