Re: Help

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:09:01PM -0500, Israel Fdez wrote:
> I test it, but this is no t exactly wat I need, because designed like this,
> is the daemon who have to access the dev file, blocking (if exist) other
> callers processes, and what I realy need is that the kernel wake up the
> daemond. I meen, the daemond should wait until a kernel advise.

If some kind of process has to wait until the kernel signals it to
continue, a blocking device access is the only way to go.

> In the other hand, this daemon will be called by other proccesses, so I need
> a blocking mechanism that let me awake the daemon from another userland
> proccess.

If you want to monitor multiple file descriptors (devices, sockets,
pipes, fifos, etc.), you want select() or poll() in userland. See "man
select" and "man poll". Note that you have to implement the poll()
method for your device, see "linux device drivers 2nd edition".

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,