Re: Process address space

On 9 Jan 2002, Momchil Velikov wrote:

> Paul> Hi,
> Paul> Sorry for the simple question, but can someone please direct me to a
> Paul> description (or maybe diagram) of the full address space for a process
> Paul> (all the way from 00000000 to FFFFFFFF).
>
> cat /proc/$$/maps

Thanks Momchil, but I already knew about this.  As usual, I was pretty
unclear.  :-)

I'm interested in which address ranges are reserved for which purposes.
For instance, the top GB is for the kernel, but is that range *exactly*
from C0000000 to FFFFFFFF ?  Also, how many pages are reserved at the
bottom of the address space?  Just the one?  Are there any other address
ranges which are reserved, and if so, then where are they, and what are
they used for?

If anyone can show me where to find this info I'd be appreciative.  Thx.

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")