Re: meminfo

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 06:44:58PM +0200, Hilik Stein wrote:
> i was trying to understand the information in /proc/meminfo, to no avail.
> I am running a linux kernel 2.4.3

Ouch, that's old.

> i have a working system here, where i see that the amount of free memory
> keeps dropping constantly, and never goes back up, i understood that it
> could be that the memory was going into some memory caches, can someone
> please explain how i can locate the missing memory ?

/proc/meminfo shows you (in Buffers and Cached), and you can also use
the "free" utility.

> another thing that i failed to understand is the difference between low
> memory and high memory. what applications are using which type of memory ?
> what happens when i run out of either of low or high memory ?

High memory only matters if you have >4GB in your machine (on x86).
The CPU can't address all of the 4GB, so all the memory above the 4GB
is called high memory.

> i also heard that the memory management has been greatly improved after
> 2.4.7, what has changed so much ?

The bugs just got fixed. In my opinion the VM in 2.4.17 is still not
good, especially with lots of disk IO going on (you really don't want
to be using the machine for interactive stuff with updatedb running in
the background).

I prefer to use Rik van Riel's rmap VM which has a much smoother
behaviour, especially during disk IO (like importing kernels to a local
CVS tree). See http://www.surriel.com/patches/ .

> any pointers to where i can learn more about this memory management scheme
> would be greatly appreciated.

See http://linux-mm.org/ .

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,