Re: memory addressing

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 09:06:08AM -0000, Pichai  Raghavan wrote:
> The board on which I am running linux has 16 MB of which
> 0-8 MB is used by Linux and rest of 8-16 MB is used by
> another processor running another OS. (basically the
> board has 2 CPUs)
>
> Now I have a driver on Linux that needs to access the 8-16 memory
> space to communicate with the other CPU. I am thinking of using these
> addresses directly within my driver. My understaning is that since
> there is no MMU protection within the kernel my driver can access the
> addresses even though they have not been configured for Linux.

As far as I know there are also no page table mappings for the
unconfigured memory, so you'll have to use ioremap() to create them
(see Documentation/IO-mapping.txt).

Alternatively, you could use the MTD driver for uncached system RAM and
treat the memory for the other OS as a block device (see
drivers/mtd/devices/slram.c).

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,