strange problems with memory...

Hi folks,

I had these 2 functions in a module (1 sysctl and the other a procfs).
Both are actually achieving the same goals, the sysctl returns a pointer
to a structure while the procfs prints it out to /proc/net/xx.

Now, the sysctl and procfs works perfectly when I loaded it as a module.
However, when I compiled the thing into the kernel, it gives me
segmentation fault whenever I called sysctl or do a cat /proc/net/xx.

The sysctl call did copy_to_user(...) the structure and the procfs
already holds the structure in the kernel space, so all it had to do is
to print it out.

I did a lot of printk and notice that the structure could be NULL. But
this wasn't the case when I loaded it as a module. It causes the kernel
to hexdump the registers when the segmentation fault occurs. However,
the kernel did not panic.

Does anyone has any idea how I can debug the run time kernel? I am
eternally grateful for any advices.

Cheers,
Jon.