Re: unresolved symbol Problem

* Usman S. Ansari (uansari@yahoo.com) wrote:
> On Redhat 7.1 kernel, my module loads and work fine. I had to regenerate the
> kernel after applying kdb patch for debugging over serial link (patch applied
> very nicely).
>
> When I try to load mymodule with the new kernel I get following messages. Funny
> thing is that I can see all the unresolved symbols in the System.map file
> generated.
>
> [root@karachi /root]# insmod mymodule.o
> mymodule.o: unresolved symbol send_sig
> mymodule.o: unresolved symbol __generic_copy_from_user

<snipped extra debugging info>

for exported symbols cat /proc/ksyms (not System.map).  chances are you
have been bit by MODVERSIONS.  if the symbols in /proc/ksyms are mangled
by MODVERSIONS (you'll see _Rblahblah added to each symbol), add
-DMODVERSIONS -include /path/to/src/include/linux/modversions.h to your
gcc command line.

for more info, see www.kernelnewbies.org/faq

cheers,
-chris