networking and kernel

I posted on here before about how to have kernel module act as a client
and i was told that networking should not be done inside of the kernel
(policy is not the job of the kernel).  How then should i go about sending
data over the network?  Ive seen copy_to_user and was wondering if im
suppose to copy data to a userspace process and have it send the data?  Is
there a good document for me to read to better understand/see example of?
Thanks!  Also how is policy and mechanism defined?  I tried finding some
explanation of what should and shouldnt be in the kernel.  Thank you very
much!

Dan