vmalloc allocates less memory in 1GB system...

Hi,
I wrote a kernel module using a library that has its own memory manager. I
have to pass an address and a size to this library.
Til now I used vmalloc in init_module to prepare a big chunk of memory for
library needs.
But first I discovered that the max amount of vmalloc-able memory is 64 MB
at a time.
Ok I can allocate memory for library adding several chunks...
That's the problem: vmalloc fails after a total ~112 MB on machines with 1
or 2 GB of RAM, while on a 256 MB machine the module allocates 128 MB so
far.
What are the limits of vmalloc? How can I allocate (for example) 256 MB of
memory?

I tried to use Rubini's allocator module, but the kernel 2.4.4 lacks of
ioremap (or vremap) function needed to map physical himem address to a
virtual address suitable by C code...

Does anybody have tips or suggestion to solve this problem?

Thanks to all,

Dott. Roberto Granato
IP Networks Division
RESI Informatica S.r.l.