free_pte / Paging Unit code in Linux

Hi all,

I am a kernel newbie (duh) had have been reading i386 related code.  I
understood that there is a software cache for page table  whose higher and
lower limits are set by the high and low watermarks respectively.
Therefore to add to the cache you should be doing a free_pte_fast()
In 2.4 i saw the code like
#define pte_free(pte)    free_pte_slow(pte)

In 2.2 i saw the code as
#define pte_free(pte)    free_pte_fast(pte)

Now my doubt is regarding kernel 2.4.   If during freeing, the cache is not
being updated, then this means the allocating from the cache is useless coz
there is nothing in the cache.  So why do the calls for allocating from the
cache still exist when the cache is certainly going to be empty.
Also why was software caching for PTEs disabled in the 2.4 code?
Thanx to all in advance.

Mohit Kalra

"vi n - tee m - exec("ute")"