Re: source code for ktftpd

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:52:04AM -0200, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 01:38:32PM +0000, James A Sutherland wrote:
> > > Hi Lee!
> > > If interested, I think TUX knows to do FTP too.
> > It's *T*ftp, not FTP, that was being sought AIUI - as an example of how to
> > handle UDP packets in-kernel, rather than provide a tftp service, I think.
> > Anyone finds it, I'd be interested too...
>
> This is something I would like to snap my teeth into too. Considering
> the low overhead of tftp, and how much I use it (bootp), having this service
> kernel-based would be a step forward here ....

I don't think so:

- TFTP is policy. Policy belongs to userland.
- Kernel servers aren't any faster than userland servers. The X15
  webserver showed that it is possible to write a userland webserver
  that is as fast as the record breaking TUX kernel webserver.
- TFTP clients are usually bootloaders with TCP stacks tuned for being
  small instead of being fast. Having an exceptionally fast tftp server
  won't speed up the boot process.
- TFTP is only done for booting a system. Booting doesn't happen to
  often, so optimising that part doesn't help you much. Again, if you
  still think you have a bottleneck over there, you can expect to gain
  much more by tuning the TFTP client.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,