Re: error of proc_register()

> You mentioned that the Ori Pomerantz's LKM Programming Guide is too old
> for /proc part.  Does this also apply to Chapter 7 System Calls?   I
> want to add a system call, say nrprocess(), with these steps: 1) add an
> entry in include/asm-i386/unistd.h 2) #insmod nrprocess.o

there isnt a concept called loadable system calls in linux.but u can add
dynamically with out recompiling the kernel by directly doing changes in the
sys_call_table.Note : is not portable.

>1) add an
> entry in include/asm-i386/unistd.h 2) #insmod nrprocess.o

No need to add an entry in unistd.h if u r planning to add the system call
using a module.

> but I don't see how the userland application know the new system call.

use _syscallX(...,...) macros defined in unistd.h from the userland programs

> Do I have to recompile the kernel?  I wonder there is document which
> explains that.
No need to recompile.

Others please clarify if i m wrong.

regards,