Re: emails with no subjects

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 04:28:32AM -0700, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
> Forgive my presumptuousness, but this seems like a really silly thing to
> block at the server. It has been mentioned that such a change would
> serve to help folks because their post wouldn't be ignored, however it seems
> to me that this smells more like certain folks not wanting to have to filter
> their mailbox themselves, and getting the server to do it instead (thus
> forcing their wants or needs on the entire group).

I didn't suggest to block thread unrelated messages, I just say that I
won't read many of them because I use "kill-thread" very often. If your
message was unrelated to the thread, I'm very sorry, but you should
learn to post in that case.

> Might I suggest that we
> are no longer in the days of 10mb hard drives, 300baud modems, and 33mhz
> computers, and that it does not take an exorbitant amount of energy,
> bandwidth, cpu, or effort to filter one's own mailbox.

Maybe not in your part of the world, but there are people that still
effectively have 300 baud lines. A flat-rate high-bandwidth internet
connection is certainly not a world standard.

> I should also note
> that users who send an email without a subject and summarily recieve a
> notice from the server asking them to send again, might only be confused and
> leave.

What's wrong with an error message saying "Please use a subject line"?
That can hardly be confusing, I think we can assume at least basic
knowledge of the English language by people using this list.

> I recieve on the order of 1,800 emails per day, being on many mailing-lists,
> and I still manage to at least glance over every one to see if it's
> relevant. I know that you might lose precious seconds per day by having to
> go through this troublesome task, but this was a choice you made when you
> signed up for a list. Sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it
> too.

I also manage to read the >1000 emails I receive a day, but that was
not my point. My point is that if you want your message to be read, you
should a) use a relevant subject and b) don't post thread unrelated
messages.

(And no, just changing the subject in a thread does NOT create a new
thread).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl
-