Re: Q: How to report ELF Loader Bugs in Kernel 2.4.2

> > An ELF file executes with kernel 2.2.14 (RH6.2) but fails to
> > execute with kernel 2.4.2 (RH7.1).
> >
> > Bug 1:
> > "No such file or directory" is reported although the file exists.
> > If the 2.4 loader dislikes the file content, an appropriate
> > error message should be provided.
>
> The error message is a userland problem. More specifically, it is
> printed by glibc.

I think the error occurs on the kernel call to: execve
  #define __NR_execve		 11
in
  /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/unistd.h

I suspect this because of this output from strace:

  # strace /usr/local/bin/getdate.preserve
  execve("/usr/local/bin/getdate.preserve", ["/usr/local/bin/getdate.preserve"], \
         [/* 100 vars */]) = 0
  strace: exec: No such file or directory

> > Bug2:
> > The file fails to execute under Kernel 2.4.2.
> > The file is quite old.
> > However, if feasable, old ELF files should continue
> > working.
>
> AFAIK linux still uses the same ELF format as with the introduction of
> ELF six years ago.
>
> > I can ftp the ELF file if someone would like to
> > investigate this further.
>
> Not neccessary, I think you stumbled over a library problem. Run "ldd"
> over your binary and see what libraries it wants to use. In most cases
> installing a package with old libraries solves the problem. The easiest
> way is of course to recompile the packages against the new libraries.

This seems to me to be a kernel problem that occurs before the executable
gets loaded.

Note: ldd and gdb both fail before any useful information is output.

Do you think this is worth looking into further?

Perhaps someone else with a 2.4.x system could help me
verify this bug.

There are several older elf files that exhibit this same
behavior on my system.
I'm not concerned about this problem on my system since
I can simply recompile.

My concern is the possibility that this may be a general
2.4.x problem that ought to get fixed.

Note: I didn't see anything in the changelogs at
kernelnewbies.org or at red hat that look like
this problem.

Thanks,

Dave
-